10 things I can tell you now about my next book.
1. It’s the first in a series of books called Union Street, about five twenty- something girls sharing a house in Brooklyn, that I’m writing for St Martins Press.
2. The protagonist is stylish, spoilt, sharp - and kind of awesome. I adore her. But I always adore the protagonist till I finish writing about her. Weird, huh?
3. I had the idea for the series as was ruminating on the fact that 21 to 30 is an extraordinarily tough, eventful and hilarious time for women, but I couldn’t think of any modern fiction that dealt with the entire period honestly and - most importantly - with humour.
4. The series was also inspired by The Group by Mary McCarthy, The Best Of Everything by Rona Jaffe and The Babysitters Club by Ann M Martin. (Trust me, it works.)
5. There will be more sex in it than there was my first two books. (Mother, don’t look at me like that.)
6. And wild partying and bad choices and drugs and drama and all kinds of good stuff. (Mutti. Seriously. You are really putting me off.)
7. I’ve just about finished writing it. Just icing the cake now.
8. Oh, the narrator of the first book is called Pia.
9. It’s about 120,000 words, which seems to be my magic number for some reason. (This is irrelevant but I needed it to get 10 facts.)
10.I really, really hope you like it.
PS Alas, I cannot tell you when it’s out just yet... but the moment I find out, you’ll be the first to know, kittenpants.